Welcome new and returning USM students, staff and faculty!
We hope you had a restful and rejuvenating summer and are ready to launch into another season of learning. With that in mind, we wanted to make you all aware of
what Health & Counseling Services, an integrated program that promotes wellness for both mind and body, has to offer
● The health center is located at 156 Upton Hall in Gorham (with Counseling) as well as 8 Sullivan Gym in Portland. Open daily Monday through Friday in Gorham and Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in Portland. Phone: 207-780-5411. Fax: 207-780-4911. For after-hours emergencies, dial 911. For more information, including our hours, go to usm.maine.edu/uhcs
● We are able to bill most insurance companies. Lab, imaging and ancillary testing are billed separately by an outside provider. Uninsured students can access a sliding fee scale and will not be denied services.
● Our staff is comprised of nurse practitioners, a physician consultant, administrative support team members, and
● Comprehensive primary care services including but not limited to:
o Acute care (sick visits)
o Physical exams & sports physicals
o Chronic illness management
o Contraceptive services
o STI & HIV testing
o Immunizations / Flu Shots
o Lab services
o Travel consultations
o Self-care guidance/advice
o Referrals to community resources
● Counseling Services is located on the Gorham Campus in 156 Upton Hall along with Health Services, as well in
105 Payson Smith Hall on the Portland Campus and in the Student Affairs offices on the Lewiston Campus in
● Office hours are from 8-4:30pm Monday-Friday in Gorham & Portland, and from 1pm-5pm Tues/Wed in
Lewiston. We can be reached at 207-780-4050. Check out our Counseling Services website and wellness page at
usm.maine.edu/uhcs You can screen yourself anonymously for possible substance use problems and get instant
● Our staff is comprised of licensed clinical psychologists, consulting psychiatrists, licensed professional counselors
and licensed alcohol and drug counselors, interns, graduate assistants and administrative support staff.
● We treat students who may struggle with many different types of issues: anxiety & depression, sleep problems,
loneliness, perfectionism, identity questions, living on the spectrum, relationship challenges, trauma related
concerns, time management, or risky behaviors.
● Comprehensive Mental Health and Substance Use Services include:
o Brief individual and couples counseling
o Substance Use screening and counseling
o Psychoeducation skills groups and support groups ( Chill skills, Transition to college, Mindful walking,
Ourselves and others, and Self –compassion practices)
o Crisis evaluation and crisis services; after hours by the Cumberland Crisis Team (774-Help (4357) or 1-888-568-1112
o Referral for medication management and evaluation
o Consultation to staff and faculty
o Recovery Oriented Collegiate Center located on the second floor of Sullivan Gym ( a place to join a peer
support group, meet sober friends, engage in fun drug free activities, find others who struggle with mental
health or other issues like your own)
o Suicide Prevention and Substance Use Prevention
We look forward to meeting you, working with you and supporting you on your journey.