By Glenn Cummings, USM President
To our returning students, allow me to welcome you back to USM. And to our new students, welcome! You could not be arriving (or returning) to USM at a more exciting time.
Just over the summer:
- We have launched the new Metro bus service, which not only will connect you between the Portland and Gorham campuses year-round, but also allow you to use all of Metro’s bus lines for free to get to school, to work, or to shop.
- USM was gifted the world-renown Osher Map Library, worth well over $100 million and providing a tremendous resource to you and our community.
- We have installed lights on all our Athletic Fields, expanding opportunities for our student athletes.
- We have approved a new Master Plan, which will transform our university with new residence halls, a new Career and Student Success Center, a new Graduate Center for Professional Studies (including a new Law School) and a Center for the Arts.
- And, the Legislature and the Governor approved a bond measure on the November ballot, which can bring $25 million to USM to enhance your learning experience and success. Much more info on the bond to come over the next few weeks, but for now, let me say that I hope you will vote to support it (though that’s your decision alone to make).
I also could not be more excited about all of you. You are part of the largest student body here in years – a clear indication that USM is becoming the university of choice for more and more people.
My excitement, though, is not just about the quantity of our students, but also the quality. We have more students in our Honors Program than ever before, the highest number of Presidential Scholars in our history, and more new students from underrepresented populations. Yes, we are the University of Everyone, something that will enrich your education and should make us all proud.
I look forward to meeting you, and no doubt you’ll see me on all three of our campuses. Please stop me to tell me how you’re doing and what we can be doing to support you during your time here.