Thursday, December 13th, 2018

Bill passes the house to defund Planned Parenthood

Photo Courtesy of Charlotte Cooper

Posted on September 29, 2015 in News
By USM Free Press

By Thomas Fitzgerald/News Intern

The House of Representatives voted last week to take away all funding on a federal level from Planned Parenthood, while an investigation is pending that accuses them of selling aborted babies and their parts.

The US representatives approved the bill, as the defunding is imminent until the answers of this investigation come to a conclusion. If the investigation finds Planned Parenthood to be guilty, the funding ban will last a year.

Although these accusations are quite serious, there are a lot of US citizens that are being immediately impacted by this decision as the Independent Congressional Office released an analysis that estimated over 630,000 women would lose access to preventative health care through federal family planning money.

This is a number that has such a large volume that other healthcare providers may not be capable of covering leaving thousands of people uncertain when they will have access again.

Nicole Clegg, vice president of public policy for Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, was confident that this issue was not going to affect women in need for very long and cited other forms of funding to still be an asset to their continuation.

“The defunding will pass at the house level, but it is not likely to appear in the senate. It will need to pass in both bodies in order for us to be affected by this in the long term,” said Clegg.

Title ten is the only federal grant program dedicated solely to providing individuals with comprehensive family planning and related preventive health services, and it is designed to make health care for low income homes a priority. Regardless of what house voters believe in this situation, it is not an act that the public is going to stand for.

“It is our job at Planned Parenthood to notify our supporters about what is happening,” said Clegg.  “Elected leaders need to understand that they are not voting in support of what the citizens want.”

One tactic that was used as a deterrent for people in support of Planned Parenthood was put on display at the Republican debate, when candidate Carly Florina described a video viewed from planned parenthood as seeing “a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while someone says, ‘We have to keep it alive to harvest its brain.”

However, there is no evidence of this footage ever existing.

Mallory Pelton, Senior communication major at USM,  has done some research regarding this topic, and does not seem to believe what news media may be trying to tell her.

“I think there is controversy over what planned parenthood is doing with babies body parts. However, I think that some videos that are being posted are highly edited and are exaggerating the truth,” said Pelton.

Pelton does not believe that Planned Parenthood should have finding taken away since only 3% of their business is abortions and the other 97% is for birth control, STD tests, and check ups.

“If you take away funding it will only backfire and women won’t have any safe option which will create much bigger issues,” said Pelton.

Although the bill was passed by the US representatives, it has been clearly stated by President Barack Obama that any bill that reaches his approval regarding this defunding will be vetoed.

Leave a Reply

Please fill the required box or you can’t comment at all. Please use kind words. Your e-mail address will not be published.

Gravatar is supported.

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>