Saturday, December 15th, 2018

Officials say Hastings fire was arson

Sprinklers set off by the fire caused water damage to the floors below.
Casey Ledoux - The Free Press
Sprinklers set off by the fire caused water damage to the floors below.

Posted on September 04, 2012 in News
By Brian Saxton, and Kirsten Sylvain

Fire Department officials reported that a fire was set deliberately early Sunday morning in a closet on the Gorham campus.

The Gorham Fire Department responded to an alarm at the Upton-Hastings Hall at 2:37 a.m when a sprinkler went off.  The fire was extinguished before flames or smoke could cause any damage, though some water damage occurred from the sprinkler.  No injuries were  reported and all student rooms remain habitable.

“The hall was evacuated quickly and safely, which is a real tribute to our students and staff,” said Craig Hutchinson,  chief of student affairs officer, “the fact, however, that this fire was set is of great concern.”

The State Fire Marshall and USM Public Safety are continuing their investigation. Anyone with information is urged to call USM Police at 780-5211.

Students in residence halls should contact their resident director with any questions or concerns.


Leave a Reply

Please fill the required box or you can’t comment at all. Please use kind words. Your e-mail address will not be published.

Gravatar is supported.

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>